Saturday 22 February 2014

SAvAUS 2014: Wrong, again

Wrong, again
It seems that cricket is determined to prove me wrong this last couple of weeks.  It started when I felt that the Aussies couldn't keep up their dominant displays against a team of the quality of South Africa. I even tipped South Africa to take a close series when I did the series preview.  Then Centurian happened.  The best team in the world was blown away by Mitchell Johnson, in both innings.  And the Aussie batsmen made runs against one of the best attacks going around.  It seemed I was wrong.

Then I looked at the NZ India match, with New Zealand 5/95 in their second innings and still a long way behind.  I tweeted that without Taylor, I didn't think NZ could get out of this match.  Then McCullum happened.  

Finally, following the second innings at Centurion, I thought that South Africa had little chance to get back into the series.  They did not seem to have an answer to Johnson.  Then the St. George's pitch happened.  The South Africans found a way to nullify Johnson- prepare a pitch that would need to improve dramatically to be rated as "dead" then play slow defensive cricket on it for at least a day.  Credit to De Villiers, who once again made the Aussies work for his wicket, and this time dragged Duminy along with him.  Then the Aussie top order did what they do in the first innings and imploded.  It will be a long haul for them to get back into this match, perhaps needing another Haddin special.  If they do manage it, it is likely that the test will head towards a draw.  However, I am just as likely to be wrong.  Again.

Lyon
Lyon had the best figures of the Aussies in the first innings.  His second five-for of the summer came in the second match in which the Aussies bowled first.  Like Melbourne, Mitch was not quite at his best, and Lyon stepped up with five.  (Is there something to the idea that Johnson bowls better with a score to bowl at?). Unfortunately, De Villiers and Duminy meant that the Saffers got further in front than the English did.  The four wickets at the end of the second day did not help the Aussie cause. 

However it seems that the Aussies have been reading my comments about the undismissable Lyon.  It is over seven tests since he was last dismissed.  So Clarke put him up the order (ok so he is really playing the night watchman role) to make the most of his propensity to stick around.  Even the South Africans and the umpires want to keep his record going- he was dropped, and once when he was caught, he was given not out, and it was not reviewed.  I suspect that his run will come to an end sometime today.  If he is not out at the end of this Aussie innings, then either he will have his best score in cricket, or the Aussies will be in trouble.  I for one am hoping his undefeated century anchors a massive score for the Aussies.  I'm not holding my breath though.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...